In partnership with the Vice President of Government Relations and Advocacy, the Director, State Affairs is responsible for the identification, development, and management of strategic relationships at the state level, with the purpose of advancing the Medicaid and managed care priorities of MHPA. The State Affairs Director will serve as a nexus for state-advocacy activities to ensure coordination and the sharing of best-practices among MHPA’s member plans and other stakeholders as they join us in advancing our priorities at the state level.
- Maintains, develops, and enhances relationships with states, state associations, and other elected and appointed state officials. **Please note that direct state lobbying is not an expectation for this position.**
- Identifies and implements Medicaid managed care education and outreach opportunities with elected and appointed state leaders.
- Tracks and leads analysis of state Medicaid/managed care policy making and determines the potential impact on Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs).
- Develops the policy agenda and helps to oversee the work of the MHPA State Affairs Committee.
- Ensures that intel and legislative advocacy strategies and solutions are shared across MHPA’s membership and among other stakeholders.
- Leads MHPA’s policy engagement with state officials, legislatures, and agencies on high priority issues including policy matters that cross state and federal lines.
- Coordinates with the federal legislative affairs and regulatory team on cross-over issues.
- Helps build relationships with national state executive and legislative branch associations, as well as DC-based governors’ staff.
- Actively engages with state associations and maintains other strategic partnerships, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, managed care, and other health policy issues.
- State government experience, particularly state health care/Medicaid policy making, including both legislative and regulatory processes.
- Experience working with state associations.
- Medicaid/managed care contacts at the state level.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
- Professional and positive approach.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strategic thinking.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multitasking, and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. MPH or similar advanced degree preferred, but not required. Five (5) years of experience working in state affairs, a state health care organization, a health plan, or trade association is preferred. Experience in Medicaid/managed care policy strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. MHPA also offers excellent benefits, including insurance coverage (health, STD/LTD, AD&D, Life), a 401k retirement plan, flexible schedules and vacation and medical leave benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@mhpa.org. Open until filled.
The Director is responsible for leading all external communications activities, including MHPA’s mission, policy positions and programs to the media and public, MHPA members and various audiences. The position reports directly to the President & CEO and leads the collaboration with MHPA staff on external and internal communications activities.
- Develops and implements MHPA’s communications’ strategy to actively shape public discourse around Medicaid and managed care issues
- Directs all MHPA public relations campaigns, including the Value of Medicaid Managed Care (VoMMC) campaign
- Conducts outreach to press and public; responds to press inquiries and proactively advances MHPA’s communications interests among the media and with other key stakeholders operating in the Medicaid space
- Manages all communications programs, including branding and messaging, that effectively describe and promote MHPA and its products and services
- Maintains, develops, and enhances MHPA press contacts and distribution list
- Development and distribution of press releases and other MHPA collateral items
- Writing and composition duties, including principal editing of MHPA’s industry newsletter and all MHPA publications and other public-facing materials
- Oversees maintenance and development of MHPA website
- Manages all social media channels for MHPA, developing and implementing an over-arching social media strategy that reflects MHPA’s broader organizational goals
- Serves as primary staff liaison to the MHPA Communications Committee, which includes partnering with other MHPA Departments and Committees to ensure the Communication Committee can develop stakeholder-targeted strategies for elevating MHPA priorities
- Collaborates with MHPA’s Government Relations and Advocacy team to elevate MHPA policy priorities and advocacy initiatives at the state and federal levels
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Understanding of digital marketing concepts
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making
- Knowledge of Medicaid and/or health policy issues
- Knowledge about associations and/or Capitol Hill
- Comprehensive project management
- Microsoft Office products
- Professional and positive approach
- Proactive and strategic approach to communications activities
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills / collaborative team player
- Flexible and willing to respond to timely policy developments and issues needing urgent attention
- Dynamic and creative
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. Work experience may substitute for advanced degree. 5-7 years of experience in media relations, communications in health policy, on Capitol Hill, or health care related organization. Experience in Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP, health insurance and/or managed care strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. MHPA also offers excellent benefits, including insurance coverage (health, STD/LTD, AD&D, Life), a 401k retirement plan, and vacation and medical leave benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is COB on Friday, July 15.